Last week, the GKIC marketing team held our quarterly off-site planning meeting in Cleveland…
Our goal is to get away from all of the distractions and review what we’ve accomplished, where we want to go and how we will do that. (If you’re not doing this for your own business, I highly recommend it.)
Of course, our main focus is always our members…
Because what truly grows your company is customers. Not stock values. Not shareholders. Not products or services.
Think about that for a second, because it’s an important point.
It’s not stock values that grow your company. One only needs to look at the stock market over the past several years to realize that a company’s stock value shifts—day to day, even hour to hour, no matter what you do.
It’s not shareholders. Shareholders don’t buy your product or service.
It’s not your product or services. Sure you can have an excellent product or service—and that certainly helps. But if no one knows about your product or service. Or if you haven’t demonstrated what it can do for your customer, then it won’t matter.
What truly grows your company is customers. Especially when you keep them around for a long time and don’t have to constantly replace them.
That means your customers are king.
Today I want to focus on keeping your customers once you get them.
Help them be immediately successful: One of the strategies we’ve been working on at GKIC is how to get our new members up and running and succeeding RIGHT away. There are so many resources to choose from, it has been overwhelming for new customers to figure out what they should focus on first.
As a result, customers drop out because they either don’t feel successful (how can they if they feel paralyzed to do anything) or they don’t see success fast enough (again, how can they if they don’t have the right tools in their hands.)
Here’s what we did to solve this problem and what you can do to:
1) Make it easy for customers to find what they are looking for. Your customers are busy. They don’t know what you have to offer. And they don’t want to spend a lot of time looking for what they want.
Categorize your products, services and resources so it’s easy for your customer to find the resource they want. We grouped all of our resources by category. The copywriting resources are grouped together, wealth creation resources are together, and so on. We also labeled products, beginner, intermediate and advanced so customers could self-select the level they’re at.
2) Tell them what they need. We have over fifty products in our catalog and that’s not even everything we offer. Regardless, whether you have three products or services to offer or a thousand, anything over two choices makes it difficult for new customers to decide.
We solved this problem by looking at the top recommended resources by our members and what would help a new customer immediately experience success. Magnetic Marketing again and again came up as a top recommended resource with our customer base.
We began offering this immediately to new members to help them jumpstart their path to marketing success.
3) Follow up. Just because a customer doesn’t get started the first time you tell them about your product or service, doesn’t mean you should stop offering it.
We continue to follow up on the same product suggestion with different offers because we know Magnetic Marketing is one of the fastest paths to getting marketing results in your business. And we know if we can just get it in your hands and get you turned on to it, you will experience success and become a long-term customer.
4) Give them another suggestion. Sometimes, for whatever reason, your new customer doesn’t want the thing you know they should have. Give them a different suggestion to find out what will interest them. In our case, after a customer has been through our follow-up sequence, we begin offering other products with measures in place such as special offers, free reports and more to find out what will interest them instead.
5) Distribute your suggestions across multiple channels. You can’t depend on customers to ask the right questions or even ask you what they need. And even if you tell them once, you need to tell them again, through different channels, because they may not be in the right frame of mind the first time you tell them.
Dan Kennedy makes the point that if your customer had a fight with his spouse, backed into the mailbox and left his briefcase at home, he is probably going to say “no” to you that day. You need to use multiple channels with multiple messages and give your customer multiple chances to say “yes” to your offer.
If customers don’t order Magnetic Marketing the first time we offer it, we give them more chances to get it by sending follow up emails, holding a webinar and sending a direct mail campaign.
We’ve also built up credibility and reminders by featuring stories from our members who’ve used Magnetic Marketing. These are featured in interviews, stories on our blog and through social media sites like YouTube.
Always remember that your customer is king. When you do everything you can to get the right tools into their hands that helps them be immediately successful, you’ll have the start of a long relationship with your customer.
NOTE: If you are looking for more ways to build a long-lasting relationship with your customer and build up a herd that buys from you again and again, you’ll want to check out Herd Building Day Formulas. Taught by Dan Kennedy and a super-star line-up, you’ll learn the best way to build the “RIGHT” list in record time, create “income at will” and develop a hyper-responsive list of fans eager to buy more and more over time. Click here to learn more.